The MAJC is a two-year programme that comprises three semesters of coursework and one semester of research and dissertation writing. The programme offers an array of courses including but not limited to Development Communication, Communication research methods, Contemporary issues in the media, Public Affairs reporting, Advanced Editing, Advanced Writing and Reporting as well as Media & Democracy.The MAJC aims at nurturing a home-grown crop of practitioners with the relevant advanced knowledge and skills to deal with the dynamics and complexities of the fast-growing and changing field of journalism and communication. The MAJC also aims at building indigenous capacity to conduct advanced training in this fast-growing field.OBJECTIVESSpecifically, the MA in Journalism and Communication will serve the following objectives:
- To deepen students’ understanding of Journalism/Communication in the national and international contexts.
- To equip students with the requisite skills to critically examine the cultural, political and economic context within which communication takes place.
- To equip students with the requisite skills to conduct research in the areas of Journalism and Communication.
- To enable practitioners in Journalism and Communication to sharpen their knowledge and skills in the discipline as well as make connections between Journalism/Communication theory and practice.
- To prepare students to cope with the rapid changes in technology and practice in the field of Journalism and Communication.
ADMISSION REQUIREMENTSThe MA in Journalism and Communication is open to applicants with:
- A Bachelor’s (Honours) degree in Mass Communication, Journalism, Media Studies, Public Relations, Communication Studies or related field of study from a recognised university.
- A good Post Graduate Diploma in Mass Communication, Journalism, Public Relations, Communication Studies or related field of study from a recognised university.
- A Bachelor’s (Honours) degree in the Arts, Social Sciences, Pure Sciences or other related field of study from a recognized university with at least 2 years working experience in the media or Communication area.