The Department of Journalism and Communication (DJC) at Makerere University has for the last 23 years hosted an Annual Media Convention (AMC). This event brings together academia and industry players to discuss the latest trends affecting the field of journalism and communication. This year’s AMC will coincide with celebrations to mark the World Press Freedom Day on 3 rd May 2021, which will be held under the theme, “Information as a Public Good”.
This is to cordially invite you to participate in this year’s convention set to take place on Monday, 3rd May 2021 at CTF2 (Auditorium) starting at 8:00am. The Minister of ICT and National Guidance, Hon. Judith Nabakooba, will open the Convention.
***Keynote Speaker: Prof. Kabumba Busingye, School of Law
1. Digital Security for journalists, bloggers and citizens
Presenter: Jimmy Haguma of Uganda Communications Commission
2. Journalists’ safety and security in the wake of COVID-19
Presenter: Tabu Butagira of the Daily Monitor
1. Discussion to highlight ongoing research at the Department of Journalism and Communication (DJC) on media freedom & safety for journalists
Panelists: Dr. Aisha Nakiwala Sembatya, Dr. Gerald Walulya, Dr. Fred Kakooza and Dr. Charlotte Kaweesa-Ntulume. The panel will be moderated by Prof. Goretti Nassanga
2. Discussion on Actions of Security Agencies: Key issues for the Police and the Army in safeguarding rights
Panelists: Brig. Flavia Byekwaso (UPDF), Hon. Semujju Nganda, Kampala Metropolitan police spokesperson, ASP Patrick Onyango and Charity Ahimbisibwe, National Coordinator at the Citizens Coalition for Electoral Democracy in Uganda (CCEDU)
The event will also feature the Tebere-Mudin and Cranimer Mugerwa Annual Media Awards to the best overall student in Journalism and Communication and the best student in photojournalism.
***Registration for online participation
Register in advance for this meeting:
After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the meeting.
For further information, please contact:
1. Dr. Marion Alina – Convener +256 772 922777 (firstname.lastname@example.org)
2. Dr. Fred Kakooza – Co-convener +256 756 854520 (email@example.com)